I reply to and forward a lot of e-mails and I prefer to save mouse clicks wherever I can. This option in Microsoft Outlook closes the original message when I click the Reply or Forward button – saving me from having to close that window after I send my response.
In Outlook 2010:
- Click the File tab (Outlook 2010) or the Office button (Outlook 2007) and then click Options.
- In the left-hand navigation, click Mail.
- Scroll down to the Replies and forwards section.
- Check Close original message window when replying or forwarding.
In Outlook 2007:
- Click the Tools menu and then click Options.
- Click the E-mail Options button.
- Check Close original message on reply or forward.
The Outlook 2007 instructions may work in previous versions, but I don’t have those available to verify.